Sunday, February 6, 2011

The birth of the trees...

This past year has been a maelstrom of creativity and has brought together the creations that have passed and the ones that have yet to be birthed from the past 18 years.
I had created trees off and on for the past 10 years. I gave them to the healers in my life...my mum, dear friends, my amazing chiropractor whose healing still keeps me from being bedridden, and a loving massage therapist who gave so much healing physically, emotionally and spiritually.
I created a couple of trees for an auction a friend was having to support the domestic violence shelter at the YWCA. I was thrilled beyond belief when I found out that the woman who bought both trees was the same woman who was integral to the Women's Studies department I was about to graduate from. I was also awared the scholarship in her name the previous semester...she definetly has iconic stature in my mind.
The whirlwind of graduation and reuniting with my mum made the first 6 months of 2010 fly by.
My mum had been sick since the previous year and spent so much time in and out of hospitals. We had a tentative reunion and then a misunderstanding but in June she called me and said she wanted to see me happy before she died. She wanted to meet my partner and on my son's 19th birthday we had dinner with her. Her smiling face was the balm I needed and she was almost as enamored with my partner as I am.
We planned to get together for July 4th weekend but on Saturday, July 3rd we got a call that she was back in the emergency room. We met my pops there and was by her side as she was in and out of conciousness. She gained comfort from my partner in her state.
The next day I spent with her, the last time I had a length of time with her concious. She went into a coma and we stood by her side until she passed July 16.
While we waited in hopes that she would come out of her coma, I gained healing in my trees. I made a bonsai for each of my immediate family members. It became a labor of love to give them a tangible memory of my vibrant mum.


I took the surge of inspiration of trees to launch my Etsy shop. Here are a few of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment